Sunday, March 13, 2011

following a recipe




It's my little sister's birthday today, well she's not so little anymore she's 26 and is already a mommy! One of her favorite desserts is Tiramisu. I decided to see if I could adapt Tiramisu to cupcake form. I did a search online and I decided on a recipe from Food.com because it had 41 reviews and 5 stars. I like recipes that have reviews from readers because it lets me know if there are any errors in the recipe or if it's any good. Reading the comments also gives me ideas and tips, and I always print the recipe and make notes on it.

So usually I'm pretty good about following a recipe, but I think I'm at a point in cooking and baking where I feel ok about making my own adaptations and adding, submitting, or changing ingredients and directions. I know what flavors I like, don't like, want to try, and yeah some times it doesn't work out but most of the time I find that I'm usually right on! Which makes me more confident to keep on trying new things and recipes and ingredients.

This is MY adaptation of the recipe posted at Food.com. I changed some things, kept some the same. I made a few notes that were helpful for me so please read those before you make these believe me it will make it easier for you. I've got to say these are some DELICIOUS cupcakes. Rich, and decadent and if you love Tiramisu you wont be disappointed.



Tiramisu Cupcakes adapted from food.com

Cupcakes

1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup butter, room temperature
1 1/4 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract (I used 1 1/2 tsp)
4 eggs , room temperature
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup whole milk (makes a difference trust me)
2 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
24 FOIL cupcake liners

Liquid Coffee Layer

2/3 cup water, boiling
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee
2 tablespoons Kahlua (or any other coffee flavored liqueur)

Mascarpone Filling

1 cup mascarpone cheese (from tub)
3 tablespoons Kahlua (or coffee extract)
1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
1 (8 ounce) container cool Whip
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Frosting

12 ounces or 1-1/2 packages of Philly cream cheese
1/2 stick butter
4 cups sifted powdered sugar (more to reach desired consistency)
1 teaspoon vanilla
21/2 teaspoons Kahlua


Garnish:


Cocoa
chocolate shavings

Directions:

1. Make mascarpone filling mix first & allow to chill 4-6 hours or overnight.

2. Mascarpone filling: Beat mascarpone, Kahlua and condensed milk until well blended. Fold in cool whip. Chill 4-6 hours.

3. Prepare cupcakes as directed in THIS post. OR you can use any other vanilla cake recipe that's to your liking. Make sure they completely cool.

4. Liquid Coffee: Boil 2/3 cup water in microwave (or boil on stove) and stir in instant coffee then powdered sugar & allow to cool to tepid (or pour in a bowl and put in freezer for a few minutes) then stir in the Kahlua. Once cooled, use a fork to poke holes into cupcakes so that they will absorb the liquid coffee & then brush liquid coffee onto each cupcake using silicone baking brush. I made all kinds of holes! I wanted the cake to absorb as much of the coffee mixture as possible. I brushed the cupcakes about 3 times.

5. Fill pastry/icing bag with mascarpone filling & inject about 1 spoonful via bag directly into top-center of each cupcake. Also frost each cupcake with a layer of the filling. (you will have enough left over to do this)

6. Prepare Cream Cheese Frosting:Bring cheese and butter to room temperature by letting it sit out for 1 or 2 hours,Sift powdered sugar into a bowl or onto parchment. Beat butter and cheese at medium speed until creamy. Add half of the sugar, then the vanilla and Kahlua. Beat until combined. Gradually add remaining sugar (more if you have to) until you get to the consistency and sweetness you like.

7. Frost each cupcake with frosting (This will be a little messy and you will have to mix it in with the filling layer you put on the cupcakes already but believe me it's worth it. Finally garnish with chocolate shavings and a dusting of cocoa.


PERSONAL NOTES:
-these cupcakes ARE time consuming but are well worth the effort and time, so make sure you have the time.
-Use REAL mascarpone cheese, it's a bit expensive but I've found that the taste and texture is heavenly with the real thing.
-I used a lot of Kahlua in this, but you can always adapt the amount to your liking and what you are comfortable with. One tip I saw in the comments for the original recipe was if you don't want to shell out the money for Kahlua try Kimora as a substitute.
-YOU WILL have A LOT of frosting and filling left depending on how much you frost, just put the leftovers in plastic containers and freeze for next time, or some other cupcakes.
-you will notice I state to use foil liners, this is because of the soaking you have to do with the liquid coffee mixture. They are really inexpensive and you can get them at practically any grocery store.




ENJOY! I am seriously hoarding the leftovers they are so yummy!

No comments: